11 Wacky & Wonderful Ways to Lose Weight
It’s been such fun learning about these uncommon, wacky and wonderful ways to lose weight! These little tips are easy to apply and can make a big difference in our weight-loss plans:
- Don’t let your plate match your food. No joke! We eat more if the color of our food matches the color of our plate. When the color of the food and the color of the plate contrast, we’re more aware of the sizes of our servings and we eat less. In fact, people who eat off red dishes eat less than those who eat from dishes of other colors. Researchers are not sure why this is, but maybe it has something to do with the red stop signs we see every day?
- Let your nose outsmart your tummy. Studies show that smelling certain foods can make you feel fuller. Take a whiff of extra virgin olive oil before a big meal, or peppermint, a banana, or an apple. And keeping a vanilla candle burning through the meal also gives us a sense of fullness.
- Hang a mirror near the table. When we can see ourselves while we eat, we eat less.
- Sit at the end of the table. When it’s harder to reach the food, we’re less likely to go for seconds (or thirds). Plus, it makes it easier to see the people we’re eating with so we can focus on them, not on the food.
- Trust the Delbouf Illusion. This is the illusion that we’re eating more because we’re using a smaller plate. When we use smaller plates, the food takes up more of the space on the plate giving us the impression that there’s more there. A large plate just begs to be filled!
- Spice things up. We eat slower when we eat spicy food. This gives the stomach more time to signal fullness to the brain, which typically takes about 20 minutes.
- Be careful with antihistamines. In 2010, Yale University studied 867 U.S. adults and found that some antihistamines could increase the odds of being overweight by up to 55 percent. The antihistamines most common in the study were Zyrtec and Allegra.
- Eat three fewer bites at every meal. This can save us about 100 calories per meal, which makes a big difference in the total calories we eat in a day. This will not only move us more quickly toward our weight-loss goals, it will also give us practice in stopping our eating when we should. That’s the discipline that will keep us thin once we reach our goal weight.
- Buy a gorgeous water pitcher and water glass. Find a beautiful water pitcher you can keep on your counter and fill it up every morning with fresh water, and maybe some slices of fruit or sprigs of fresh mint. Also, buy some water glasses that you love. Drinking enough water is the smartest weight-loss trick of all, and it’s easier to do if we enjoy it.
- Get hooked on mineral water. Perrier and S. Pellegrino waters have a certain panache that makes you feel classy, and they’ll also help you get skinny. Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don’t Get Fat, says that French women always carry mineral water around with them. This little trick is obviously working for them.
- Take fennel capsules. Fennel is well known as a great appetite suppressant. The capsules are inexpensive and easy to take, but it’s also available as a tea, if you like a licoricey taste. I’ve been taking the capsules for years because fennel is an excellent digestive aid, and whenever I take it, I’m noticeably un-hungry. (Don’t take it if you’re pregnant or nursing.)
I’ve incorporated all 11 of these wacky and wonderful ideas into my daily routine! Which of them will you try first?
We’re stronger together,